How important is finding a mentor or a coach? Most importantly, establishing the need for a coach is essential. You need one. It doesn't matter if you believe you're heavens gift to life, business, sports, or whatever it is you desire - you need a coach.
Look at the worlds greatest athletes. For example, Tom Brady (whether you like him or not) is one of the greatest quarterbacks by the numbers - of all time. Throughout the entire game he is communicating with his coach, trusting them to guide him in the right direction. I read a quote the other day and am not sure who said it, but it reads simply, "There is no such thing as a self-made man." If you're bold enough to disagree - let's try to persuade you.
Why a Coach?
- Those who are succeeding, have one.
There are no arguments here! People who are succeeding faster than the rest have a coach - period. The question goes back to you - are you watching others win the race? Or are you trailing behind? If you're comfortable trailing behind just remember Ricky Bobby's dad's quote from Telladega Nights, "If you're not first - You're last!"
2. Do you really think you know everything you need to know?
"The only reason people do not know much is because they do not care to know. They are incurious. Incuriosity is the oddest and most foolish failing there is." - Stephen Fry. If you think you know everything and don't seek curiosity, you have failed. Think of it like this - In life, there is no such thing as plateauing. You're either growing or dying. The fastest way to die is to get comfortable, not seek learning, and settle for decelerated growth.
A coach provides you the information, networking, and guidance to accelerate growth and lead you to success! Find a coach.
3. You get stuck. You face challenges. And you need to be held accountable
You've been there - we've all been there. Those moments where the thought of work makes you sick because you either don't know what to do next or it's too overwhelming. Here's the cure. Find someone to hold you accountable and to help you overcome the challenges! The accountability will serve as motivation knowing someone really important is counting on you do get something done. Plus - with the help of someone who knows how to ask you the right questions, answer in the right way, and point you in the right direction will guarantee you always feel empowered to work through those nasty moments.
Get a coach
That's it. You need a coach. In my mind there are several options!
- Coaching is all around you and people do it for a living! I love Dan Deka, Bob Kittell, and a few others as coaches.
- Join a Mastermind group! It's not just 1-on-1 coaching, it's 1-on-10 coaching. A great one is Vistage. Now if you aren't C level and your company doesn't make over $500,000 a year, check out amplifiedminds.com. We run 6 month programs for just $500.
- You know them already! You would be surprised at how many people want to see you succeed! If you admire someone, ask them to coach you to success! Many people offer services like this for free!
To wrap it all up - if you are serious about your success - and if you're tired of watching others rapidly gain that success while you're not - get out and find a coach! The best and most successful people out there have a coach. That's why they are where they are.
If you want to know more about us and our coaching/mastermind packages, please check out amplifiedminds.com.